A trained therapist can mean all the difference in your recovery!
In the pattern of those who put together successful recoveries, part of the profile is being with a skilled therapist. Usually, therapy lasts at least three years and up to five years. Here are the things to look for:
- More than likely you will join a twelve step group. Ask members of the group who are the good therapists who work with sex addicts. In the twelve step communities word spreads quickly about the "good" ones.
- Look for a CSAT (Certified Sex Addiction Therapist). This is an extended training process that includes critical concepts and supervision in working with sex addicts. A directory of CSAT professionals is found at the website for the International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals.
- If you cannot find a CSAT therapist in your local area, another option is to look for someone who specializes in general addiction work. Other organizations that can help you are:
- ASAM (American Society for Addiction Medicine)
- American Academy of Health Care Providers in the Addictive Disorders
- NAADAC (National Association of Addiction and Drug Counselors)
- Pine Grove Recovery Center also has an extensive national network. You can reach them at 888-574-4673.
Adapted from guidelines written by Patrick Carnes, PhD